Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday Whistle Wetter: Numero Trois



Since last June, 2012 I've slowly transitioned my way on up and out of collegiate life (physically, not mentally), and into the world of a "young professional," bringing with me a more developed palate for enjoying and appreciating "good" beer. Now, before you craft brew snobs and enthusiasts begin attacking me for making that last statement, let me clarify. In no way am I a connoisseur of beer, and I definitely won't be able to tell you what "hints" and "aftertastes" I can pick out after a sip of your uncle's professionally brewed homemade bathtub ale.


I have simply graduated from thinking strictly in terms of finances, i.e. "how many more cans of Bud Light can I get instead of this 6-pack of Lagunitas?" Instead of drinking 9 beers at once, I drink one; with dinner (fancy, right?). As a result, my eyes have been opened, choices are now plentiful, decisions are overwhelming, and my palate has been (slowly) developed. I can tell what I do like, or don't like about certain beers. I have moved my way down the "scale of beer-darkness" from light beers to IPAs. Current preference while staring down a line of taps at the local bar? Probably an amber ale of sorts.

For this week's Whistle Wetter post, I decided to pick a crazy, off the wall beer that I hope to cross off of my "tried" checklist in the near future. While searching for some interesting, unique, and wild craft brews, I stumbled upon this nutty list of the "10 Weirdest Beers," put together on Shortlist.com. They're all so crazy that it's hard to pick out the weirdest one, but if I had to, my vote would probably go with the "Pizza Beer," made with strained pizza juices (like, wringing out actual pizza) then filtered regularly.

Others that made the list:

A blue cheese beer.

A beer deemed "fit for space."

A beer that is 60% ABV, as well as one that's 55% ABV.

A beer made from animal droppings.

A beer served from animal skins.

Check out the entire list right here: http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/the-worlds-10-weirdest-beers
I certainly have a lot of "palate development" to work on before diving into a pint of one of any of these guys. And believe me, you'll be the first to read if I try any of these at all. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment